Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Matthew 6: Treasure

The sermon on the mount continues in Matthew 6 and I think one of the most important points of the sermon are contained in this chapter. In verses 19-24 the Bible says that our hearts should be focused on heaven and not on the things of this earth. So where our heart focuses so will our actions. This verse is specifically speaking about possessions and this is simple to understand, but hard to practice. I remember when I was a kid and I was waiting for something to come in the mail. I was so intent on checking the mailbox everyday. I would lay in bed and think about my new special toy all the time. I was consumed by it. When our minds are focused on a possession it consumes us. Would the same be true if our minds were focused on heaven? Maybe my focus should be on the things that have a more eternal purpose. Things that won't fade away.

Lord, help me to see where the eternal focuses are in my life. Help me to be consumed by your heaven...

No comments:

Post a Comment